September 12, 2003
Union celebrates 75 years on campus
The Memorial Union turns 75 this year and the anniversary will be observed
with a birthday celebration on Tuesday, Sept. 23, and activities spanning
three weekends. Events will highlight the types of activities that have
taken place in the Union over the years: a dance, picnic, tournaments,
exhibit and terrace party.
Earlier times at the Union.
Just like the "old days," Saturday (Sept. 20) will be the "big dance."
Whether you like big band, Latino, rap or hip hop music, you'll find it
there. One admission price ($7.50, or $6 with a canned good donation) will
get you into all of the dances.
And, if you're a bit rusty, you can arrive an hour early and learn the
merengue from Roy Salcedo or ballroom dance styles with Alma and Tyson
Memorial Union 75th anniversary celebration
Friday, September 19
Saturday, September 20
- 4-5:30 p.m., BBQ picnic, free, terraces and north lawn.
Tuesday, September 23
- 8-9 p.m., Dance lessons, Sun Room and Great Hall.
- 9 p.m.-1 a.m., Dance, $7.50 ($6 with canned good) for all three
Big band, Great Hall and Oak Room (until midnight).
Latino music, South Ballroom.
Rap and hip hop, Sun Room.
Sunday, September 28
- 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Open houses, all areas.
- 10 a.m., Building tour, depart from main desk.
- 11 a.m., Cake, outside at entrances.
- 2 p.m., Building tour, depart from main desk.
- 4 p.m., Dedication, Gold Star Hall/Campanile Room.
- All day, Exhibit: "Iowa State Memorial Union -- A Lively History," main
lobby (through December).
Friday, October 3
- 4-7 p.m., Wacky tournaments and chili supper, first and ground
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m., DJ music with lunch, The Dog Wagon, terraces.
- 3-6 p.m., Music, Ultimate Fakebook, opening act: The Plus Nomination,
Ames, Iowa 50011, (515) 294-4111
Published by: University Relations,
Copyright © 1995-2003, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.