May 2, 2003
to be awarded
by Anne Krapfl
Iowa State will award just over 3,000 degrees spring commencement weekend,
An estimated 2,530 undergraduates will receive bachelor's degrees during a
1:30 p.m. ceremony Saturday, May 10, in Hilton Coliseum. All students will
be recognized on the stage, their names announced as they receive their
diplomas from President Gregory Geoffroy. Gov. Tom Vilsack will give the
commencement address. His talk is titled "The 49th Magician."
An estimated 388 graduate students, 88 doctoral recipients and 300 master's
recipients will be honored during an 8 p.m. ceremony Friday, May 9, in C.Y.
Stephens Auditorium. Stanley Johnson, vice provost for Extension, Charles F.
Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture, will give the commencement
And, 96 veterinary medicine students will be awarded the Doctor of
Veterinary Medicine degree during a noon ceremony Saturday, May 10, also in
Stephens Auditorium. ISU alumna Deborah Turner, a Des Moines gynecologic
oncologist, appointed member of the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and
second-year law student at Drake University, will address the class of 2003.
Colleges have scheduled individual receptions or ceremonies to honor their
own graduating classes; see the graduation schedule on page 8 for a complete
Tickets are not needed for any of the commencement ceremonies.
Friday, May 9
Saturday, May 10
- 4 p.m., Ceremony, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (5 p.m.
reception), undergraduate students, Benton auditorium, Scheman, 4-7742.
- 5 p.m., Ceremony, College of Business, graduate and undergraduate
students, Hilton, 4-8430.
- 5 p.m., Ceremony, College of Education, undergraduate students (6:30
p.m. reception, first-floor lobby, Scheman), Stephens, 4-7003.
- 5:30-7 p.m., Reception, College of Engineering, master's and Ph.D.
students, 220 Scheman, 4-5933.
- 8 p.m., Commencement, graduate students, Stephens, 4-9372.
- 9:15-10:15 p.m., Reception, College of Education, master's and Ph.D.
students, first-floor lobby, Scheman, 4-7003.
- 8:15 a.m., Reception, College of Agriculture (9 a.m. ceremony)
undergraduate students, Stephens, 4-8653.
- 8:30 a.m., Reception, College of Family and Consumer Sciences (9:30
a.m. ceremony), Sun Room, Memorial Union, 4-5981.
- 9 a.m., Receptions and programs, College of Engineering (by
depart-ment), undergraduate students, Scheman, Fisher Theater and Hilton,
- 9:30 a.m., Reception, College of Design (10 a.m. ceremony),
undergraduate students, atrium, Design Building, 4-7428.
- Noon, Commencement, College of Veterinary Medicine, Stephens, 4-0772.
- 1:30 p.m., Commencement, undergraduate students, Hilton, 4-9372.
Ames, Iowa 50011, (515) 294-4111
Published by: University Relations,
Copyright © 1995-2003, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.