March 17, 2003
Symposium on the American Indian
"Tribal Traditions: Eternal Laws"
Memorial Union (unless otherwise noted)
April 2-5, 4-6338
Wednesday, April 2
Thursday April 3
- 8 p.m., Lecture, "Readings from the Jackass Chronicles,"
Caskey Russell, ISU cross disciplinary studies (LAS) and Tlingit Nation,
Friday, April 4
- 8 p.m., Lecture, "Personal Sovereignty: Transcending the Paternal
Order," James Starkey, Itaziptco Lakota Nation, Gallery.
Saturday, April 5
- 3 p.m., Talk and reception, "Reflections on 'Tapestry of a Common
Man,'" James Starkey, Itaziptco Lakota Nation, reception follows, Gallery.
- 8 p.m., Lecture, Richard Thompson Memorial Speaker, "Native
American Rights in the 21st Century," John Echohawk, Pawnee Nation, Native
American Rights Fund executive director, Sun Room.
- 9-11 a.m., Panel discussion, "Tribal Laws and Issues of
Sovereignty," John Echohawk, Pawnee Nation; James Starkey, Itaziptco Lakota
Nation; Maria Pearson, Yankton Nation; Deb Robinette, Northern Ponca Nation;
Larry Wright Jr., Northern Ponca Nation; and Jerry Stubben (moderator),
Northern Ponca Nation, Gallery.
- 9-11 a.m., Family program, arts, crafts and activities for people of
all ages, Room 244.
- 1-6 p.m., Pow wow, Native American dancers and drum groups, Iron Bull,
host drum, grand entries at 1 and 6 p.m., 175 Forker.
Ames, Iowa 50011, (515) 294-4111
Published by: University Relations,
Copyright © 1995-2003, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.