Inside Iowa State

Inside Archives

Submit news

Send news for Inside to, or call (515) 294-7065. See publication dates, deadlines.

About Inside

Inside Iowa State, a newspaper for faculty and staff, is published by the Office of University Relations.

Jan. 30, 2009

Need help? Call the Employee Assistance Program

by Paula Van Brocklin

It's difficult these days to pick up a newspaper, listen to a newscast or browse the latest online headlines without feeling down. The bailouts are a bust, companies are closing and investments are nosediving. It's no wonder lots of Americans feel anxious about their financial futures.

If you or someone in your family needs assistance dealing with anxiety over the economy or other personal problems, Iowa State's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) can help.

"We all know that sometimes personal issues can negatively impact our performance at work, our happiness and quality of life," said Terry Mason, assistant vice president for student affairs and director of the student counseling service. "It's great to have a service such as the ISU EAP available to help employees deal with some of the problems that they are finding difficult to handle."

EAP benefits

All benefit-eligible employees of Iowa State and their family members are eligible for EAP benefits, which include three free counseling sessions. Employees are financially responsible for additional sessions.

The Richmond Center, a community-based behavioral health care provider based in Ames, has coordinated Iowa State's EAP for the past 11 years. Psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists, registered nurses and a nurse practitioner at the center can help people with a multitude of issues, including depression, divorce, bankruptcy, gambling or anger management.

The Richmond Center serves employees in Story, Boone, Carroll and Greene counties. ISU employees outside those areas who need assistance should contact the center, and the staff will connect them with resources in their areas.

All EAP services are kept confidential. Employees may use accrued sick leave to attend counseling sessions.


For more information on EAP, go to or call the Richmond Center at 232-5811 or (800) 830-7009.