Inside Iowa State

Inside Archives

Submit news

Send news for Inside to, or call (515) 294-7065. See publication dates, deadlines.

About Inside

Inside Iowa State, a newspaper for faculty and staff, is published by the Office of University Relations.

Feb. 10, 2006


Carver scholarship deadline is April 1

The Roy J. Carver Scholarship goes to students of great potential who must work hard to make ends meet or who face debilitating circumstances. Scholarship applications are due April 1. The scholarship is $5,200 for the junior year, and renewable at the same amount for the senior year. Twenty renewable awards are given annually. For information or an application, contact Julie Arnold, 4-0103, or visit

Apply now for undergraduate research assistantship

The 2006-07 Undergraduate Research Assistantship (URA) program will match outstanding juniors and seniors with faculty members. The aim is to encourage students to pursue graduate study by offering hands-on experience in a research environment. The faculty sponsor pays 40 percent of the student wages, while the College Work-Study Program funds the remaining 60 percent. There are 100 URA positions for next year. Faculty applications are due March 31. The application and details are at: For information, contact Julie Arnold, 4-0103,

Center seeks grant applications

The Center for Integrated Animal Genomics (CIAG) invites grant applications for funding for three programs: competitive research grants, genomics scholar/fellows, and genomics symposia and workshops. Applications are due March 20; funding is available starting July 1. Details about the grant programs can be found at: http://www.ciag.

Sankalp open house is Feb. 11

Sankalp, an ISU student organization that seeks to bring about positive change in India by raising awareness and support, will host an open house/information session from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 11, in 171 Durham. Faculty, staff and students are invited. Refreshments will be served. More information about the group is at

Story time with Curious George

University Book Store presents story time with Curious George at 10:30 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 11, in the Memorial Union Campanile Room. Children of all ages are welcome to meet Curious George and enjoy stories, treats and activities. Story times are free and open to the public. For more information, see

PFF fall apps due Feb. 27

Applications for the next "Preparing Future Faculty" group (starting fall 2006) are due Feb. 27. PFF, for master's and Ph.D. students and postdocs, includes seminars, mentoring and practical classroom experiences. It is intended to supplement department efforts to help graduate students prepare for faculty careers. For more information, e-mail Karen Bovenmyer,, or see the PFF Web site, The application is online.

Pick-A-Prof conversation

GSB is bringing Pick-A-Prof, a Web-based site that provides student evaluations of classes and professors, to Iowa State. GSB and the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching will sponsor a faculty-student conversation on Pick-A-Prof from 12:10 to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 15, in the Memorial Union Cardinal Room. The session will be repeated Feb. 28 (3:30-5 p.m., also in the Cardinal Room). Register by contacting CELT, or 4-5357.

25-Year Club banquet is Feb. 16

ISU's 25-Year Club will honor 94 faculty and staff who have completed 25 years of service to the university (as of Dec. 31, 2005) during a banquet Thursday, Feb. 16, at the Scheman Building. An additional 37 employees who have completed 35 years of service also will be honored. A social will begin at 5:30 p.m., with dinner at 6:15 p.m. An after-dinner program will include a look at Iowa State in 1970 and 1980. The university community is invited and tickets are $20; contact Pam Mundt, 4-1070, 3770 Beardshear. The deadline is Feb. 10.