Inside Iowa State

Inside Archives

Submit news

Send news for Inside to, or call (515) 294-7065. See publication dates, deadlines.

About Inside

Inside Iowa State, a newspaper for faculty and staff, is published by the Office of University Relations.

February 25, 2005


Geoffroy, Whiteford on Talk

President Gregory Geoffroy and Michael Whiteford, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, will be guests on Talk of Iowa Tuesday, March 8. The show runs from 9 to 10 a.m. on WOI-AM, 640.

Partnering with Parents

Aspects of Partnering with Parents (for volunteers or professionals who assist or train parents) will be offered during a two-day workshop July 27-28 in Ames. For more information, contact Kim Greder,, or go online:

Research assistantship funds

Faculty applications for the Undergraduate Research Assistant program will be accepted until April 1 by the student financial aid office. The faculty sponsor pays 40 percent of the wage; the College Work Study Pro-gram funds the remaining 60 percent. (This is a change from previous years.) Applications are online:
. For information, contact Julie Arnold, 4-0103,

Volunteers needed

Volunteers (scientific and non-scientific) are needed for the Ames Laboratory/Iowa State University Middle School Science Bowl, April 9 at the Memorial Union. To volunteer or for more information, contact Saren Johnston, 4-3474,

'Music and More' on March 8

Demonstrations of Apple tools and toys, breakout sessions and an iPod giveaway are part of "Music and More" from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, March 8, in the Durham atrium. More information is online at

Story time with Little Quack

The ISU Book Store will host Spring Story Time, featuring Little Quack, at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 5, in the Memorial Union Pine Room. Little Quack illustrator and Ames native Derek Anderson will be on hand for stories, treats and activities. More information:

Administrative interns sought

The provost's office will accept applications through March 11 for administrative intern positions. Administrative internships are half time for a semester or a year. The program is open to tenured associate or full professors and P&S employees who are full time and have been at ISU at least five years. More informa-tion and application forms are online:

Comments sought

The campus community is invited to comment on a proposed Student Organization Recognition Policy that will be implemented by July 1. Make comments March 4. The policy and more information are online:

Budget update at forum

Ellen Rasmussen, assistant provost, and Mark Chidister, assistant to the president for budget planning and analysis, will present an update on this year's budget at a noon P&S Council forum on Thursday, March 3, in the Memorial Union Campanile room. Bring your lunch.

Get library materials delivered to you

Office or home delivery of library materials is available for a base fee of $5 through the document delivery service. Materials may be delivered through e-mail attachments, campus mail, Fedex, U.S. Postal Service, or other methods. Most materials are sent within 24 hours. More information about the document delivery service is online at

Severe storm spotter training

Training in spotting severe storms will be offered Wednesday, March 9, from 9 to 11 a.m. in the Memorial Union Pioneer Room and 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in 101 Industrial Education II. The training is mainly for people who work outdoors but is open to faculty, staff and students. To register, call 4-2193 or e-mail

Better board member workshop

A Nonprofit Management Academy workshop on "How to be a Better Board Member" will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 9, at the ISU Foundation, 2505 Elwood Dr. The cost is $50. To register, contact ISU Extension, 515-382-6551 or download a registration form from


Send announcements to by noon Monday of publication week. The next Inside is March 11.