Inside Iowa State
October 22, 1999
Alumni Association will honor 56 at Homecoming ceremony
by Anne Krapfl
Iowa State's 1999 Homecoming celebration hits full stride this weekend when students paint Victory Lane north of Jack Trice Stadium. The Homecoming golf outing also is Sunday morning; tee times begin at 9 a.m. at Veenker golf course.
Students have selected "Inventing our Tomorrows" as their theme this year. Buttons, which double as admission to some events next week, are $1 and available at the Student Alumni Association office, 158 Memorial Union.
The second Homecoming Blitz Build, a cooperative project with Story County Habitat for Humanity, begins Monday, Oct. 25, and continues through Friday. Faculty and staff are invited to volunteer for a shift at the site on South Kellogg Avenue, but are asked to call 4-8488 beforehand for an assignment. This year's building project is a four-plex residence and will serve homeless people in Ames.
Homecoming events on Friday, Oct. 29, begin at 5:15 p.m. with the step-off parade. The route runs from the Towers residence halls to the campanile, via Welch Avenue. More than 40 units are registered for the parade. A pep rally begins at 7 p.m. at the campanile and will include the semifinal round of the traditional "Yell Like Hell" student cheer competition.
The Alumni Association will present its annual awards to 56 faculty, staff and alumni during a 7:30 p.m. ceremony Friday in Benton Auditorium, Scheman. The university community is invited.
Homecoming '99: "Inventing our Tomorrows"
Sunday, October 24
- 10 a.m., Storefront window painting, campustown.
- 9 a.m., Alumni golf tournament, 18 holes, shotgun start, $32 includes green fees, cart and omelet breakfast (8-9 a.m.) register by Oct. 22, Veenker Golf Course, 4-8488.
- Noon-6 p.m. Painting of Victory Lane, north of Jacobson Building.
Monday-Friday, October 25-29
- 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build, on site at 221 S. Kellogg Ave., pre-register for shift you want to work, 4-8488.
Monday, October 25
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Ice cream social, free with Homecoming button, central campus.
- 7 p.m., Lecture, "NASA, the Space Program and Everyday Life," Mae Jemison, Dartmouth College, Sun Room, Memorial Union, 4-9934.
Tuesday, October 26
- 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Cyclone Spirit Day lunch, pizza and pop, free with Homecoming button, south of campanile.
Wednesday, October 27
- 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Club carnival, games and competitions, free, central campus.
Thursday, October 28
- 11 am-1 p.m., Pre-Homecoming tailgate lunch, Iowa Pork Producers will grill pork sandwiches, free with Homecoming button, central campus.
- 9 p.m.midnight, Concert and costume party, with Swing Crew, $1 with costume, $3 without costume, Great Hall, Memorial Union.
- Midnight, Mass campaniling and fireworks.
Friday, October 29
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Campus Trick or Treat, candy stations on central campus.
- 5:15 p.m., Step-off parade, Towers to the campanile, via Welch Avenue, more than 40 parade units.
- 7 p.m., Pep rally/Yell Like Hell semifinals, central campus.
- 7:30 p.m., Honors and awards ceremony, ISU Alumni Association honors faculty, staff and alumni, Benton Auditorium, Scheman.
Saturday, October 30
- 9 a.m., Alumni Association tailgate, Yell-Like-Hell finals, Lot A-3, Iowa State Center.
- 9 a.m., Community tours of Homecoming lawn displays, Greek houses south of campus, meet on west side of Stephens.
- 11:30 a.m., Football, ISU vs. Texas, $22, Jack Trice Stadium.
- 8 p.m., Performance, "An Evening of Spoken Word," Henry Rollins, lead singer of the Rollins Band, free, Stephens, 4-9934.
Iowa State homepage
Inside Iowa State, email@example.com, University Relations
Copyright © 1999, Iowa State University, all rights reserved