Inside Iowa State
October 22, 1999
Six will interview for Agriculture dean post
by Linda Charles
Six finalists for dean of the College of Agriculture have been selected and will inter-view on campus in November and December. The finalists are:
- Alan Bennett, associate dean of the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences at the University of California, Davis, since 1993.
- Cornelia Butler Flora, director of the North Central Regional Center for Rural Development at Iowa State since 1994.
- Joseph Jwu-shan Jen, dean of the College of Agriculture at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, since 1992.
- Gary Minish, head of the department of animal and poultry sciences at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, since 1994.
- Colin Scanes, executive associate dean of Agriculture and associate director of the Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station at Iowa State since 1995. He recently was named interim director of the Plant Sciences Institute.
- Paul Wangsness, senior associate dean of the College of Agricultural Sciences at The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, since 1997.
For more information on each candidate, visit this Web site: www.iastate.edu/news/releases/99/oct/agdean.html
Each candidate will make a presentation during a campus open forum from 3 to 4:30 p.m. and participate in another discussion, via the ICN, from 5:15 to 6 p.m. the same day. A reception will be held between the two events in the Kildee atrium.
All ICN events will originate from 9 Curtiss. Campus forums are in 1204 Kildee.
Following are the forum dates:
Wangness Oct. 28 Minish Nov. 1 (ICN) Nov. 2 (Campus Forum) Scanes Nov. 11 Jen Nov. 15 Flora Nov. 30 Bennett Dec. 7
Each of the finalists also will meet for an hour with students in the College of Agriculture. Following is that schedule:
Wangsness Oct. 29, 1-2 p.m. 142 Curtiss Minish Nov. 1, 2-3 p.m. 106 Curtiss Scanes Nov. 12, 1-2 p.m. 8 Curtiss Jen Nov. 16, 10-11 p.m. 8 Curtiss Flora Nov. 29, 1-2 p.m. 142 Curtiss Bennett Dec. 8, 1-2 p.m. 142 Curtiss
Lastly, the candidates will participate in a one-hour diversity forum hosted by the colleges diversity committee. Following is that schedule:
Wangsness Oct. 29, 3-4 p.m. 142 Curtiss Minish Nov. 2, 11 a.m.-noon 8 Curtiss Scanes Nov. 12, 3-4 p.m. 142 Curtiss Jen Nov. 16, 3-4 p.m. 8 Curtiss Flora Nov. 16, 3-4 p.m. 142 Curtiss Bennett Dec. 8, 3-4 p.m. 142 Curtiss
Editors note: All ICN discussions will take place at these sites around the state:
DMACC Building 6, Room 8 2006 S. Ankeny Blvd, Ankeny Cedar Rapids Prairie High School Room F203 401 76th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids Lewis-Wallace Research Farm ISU Extension Center 53020 Hitchcock Ave., Lewis NIACC Classroom 1, Activity Center 106 500 College Dr., Mason City Indian Hills Community College 108 Advanced Tech Center 525 Grandview Ave., Ottumwa Sioux City North High School 4200 Cheyenne Blvd., Sioux City Waterloo CC (CART) ICN classroom, Tama Hall 1501 E. Orange Rd., Waterloo
Iowa State homepage
Inside Iowa State, email@example.com, University Relations
Copyright © 1999, Iowa State University, all rights reserved
URL: http://www.inside.iastate.edu/1999/1022/ag dean.html