Inside Iowa State
December 11, 1998
Gov. Branstad to address undergraduates
by Anne Dolan
The "graduating" Gov. Terry Branstad will address Iowa State's undergraduate students and their families during fall commencement. The ceremony begins at 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 19, in Hilton Coliseum. About 1,300 students will receive bachelor's degrees at the ceremony. Tickets are not needed.
Branstad, who has served as governor since 1982, will complete his fourth term next month. He did not seek reelection this fall.
Graduate students will be honored during an 8 p.m. ceremony Friday, Dec. 18. One hundred Ph.D. candidates and about 260 master's students are expected to receive their degrees. Donald Beitz, distinguished professor in agriculture and professor of animal science, will address the graduate students.
Beitz joined the ISU faculty in 1967, was named the outstanding teacher in the College of Agriculture in 1990 and received a Regents Award for Faculty Excellence in 1992.
Again this semester, colleges will host their own events to honor their graduating students. See the commencement schedule below for a list of college events.
Students graduating Saturday and their families also may choose to attend two on-campus lunch options. The Student Alumni Association is sponsoring a lunch in the second floor lobby of Scheman for all students and their guests from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tickets were to have been purchased by Friday, Dec. 4. Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may attend a brunch served from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Maple-Willow-Larch dining center. Tickets should be purchased by today (Dec. 11) in 243 Catt or 202 Catt.
Friday, December 18
- 5:30 p.m., Ceremony, College of Business, for graduate and undergraduate students, Hilton, 4-8430.
- 8 p.m., Commencement, graduate students, Stephens, 4- 2754.
- 9:15-10:15 p.m., Reception, College of Education, Stage Door Lounge, Scheman, 4-8175.
Saturday, December 19
Iowa State homepage
- 9:30 a.m., Ceremony, College of Agriculture, Stephens, 4-8653.
- 9:30 a.m., Reception, College of Design, Design atrium, 4-7428.
- 9:30 a.m., Ceremony, College of Education (10:30 a.m. reception) Lied Center, 4-8175.
- 9:30 a.m., Ceremony, College of Family and Consumer Sciences (8:30 a.m. reception), Sun Room, Memorial Union, 4- 7246.
- 10-11:30 a.m., Reception, College of Engineering (includes informal program), Scheman, 4-9988.
- 9:30 a.m., Ceremony, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Hilton, reception following, Maple-Willow-Larch Commons, 4-3607.
- 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Brunch, for students and guests of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Maple-Willow-Larch dining hall, purchase tickets by Dec. 11 at 202 or 243 Catt, $9.50 adults, $5 ages 3-12, free under 3 years, 4-3607.
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Luncheon, for students and guests of all colleges, second floor lobby, Scheman, purchase tickets by Dec. 4 at 158 Memorial Union, $13.50 adults, $6.50 ages 2-12, free under 2 years, 4-8488.
- 2 p.m., Commencement, undergraduate students, Hilton, no tickets needed, 4-2754.
Inside Iowa State, email@example.com, University Relations
Copyright © 1998, Iowa State University, all rights reserved