Inside Iowa State
May 1, 1998
Graduation slate announced
by Anne Dolan
Spring commencement activities will be held next weekend, May 8-9.
An estimated 280 master's candidates and 95 Ph.D. candidates will receive degrees during an 8 p.m. ceremony Friday, May 8, at C.Y. Stephens. Psychology professor Gary Wells, one of this country's top experts on eyewitness identification in criminal investigations, will give the address.
At a noon ceremony Saturday, May 9, also in Stephens, 100 new veterinarians will receive their D.V.M. diplomas at the College of Veterinary Medicine's annual ceremony. Mary Beth Leininger, a veterinarian from Plymouth, Mich., and immediate past-president of the American Veterinary Medical Association, will give the address. Leininger was on campus last fall to lead a workshop at Vet Med's Visions in Veterinary Medicine conference.
At 2 p.m. Saturday, undergraduate students -- about 2,100 of them this semester -- will be honored at the undergraduate commencement ceremony. Federico Mayor, director-general of UNESCO (United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization) and Spain's former minister for education and science, will give the address.
Mayor also will receive an honorary degree from Iowa State during the ceremony. He is being honored for his achievements as a biochemist and his efforts to promote peace in the Middle East and throughout the world. He first visited campus in 1993, when UNESCO and the university jointly established the International Institute of Theoretical and Applied Physics on campus. IITAP fosters world peace through sharing scientific advances.
Tickets are not needed for any of the ceremonies.
ISU colleges again will recognize their graduating students at receptions either Friday evening or Saturday morning.
Spring semester '98
Friday, May 8
- 5 p.m. Ceremony, College of Business, Hilton, 4- 8430.
- 8 p.m. Commencement, graduate students, Stephens, 4- 2754.
- 9:15-10:15 p.m. Reception, College of Education, graduate students, Stage Door Lounge, Scheman, 4-8175.
Saturday, May 9
- 8:30 a.m. Reception, College of Family and Consumer Sciences (9:30 a.m. ceremony), Sun Room, Memorial Union, 4- 0864.
- 9 a.m. Ceremony, College of Agriculture, Stephens, 4- 8653.
- 9 a.m. Ceremony, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (reception follows in Maple- Willow-Larch Commons), Hilton, 4-3607.
- 9:30 a.m. Reception, College of Design, Design atrium, 4-7428.
- 9:30 a.m. Ceremony, College of Education (10:30 a.m. reception), Lied Center, 4-8175.
- 9:30-11 a.m. Receptions, College of Engineering, Iowa State Center, 4-9988.
- 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Brunch, for students and guests of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Maple-Willow-Larch dining hall, pre-purchase tickets by May 6 at 243 Catt, $9 adults, $5 ages 3-12, free under 3, 4-3607.
- Noon. Commencement, College of Veterinary Medicine, Stephens, 4-0772.
- Noon-1 p.m. Luncheon, for students and guests of all colleges, second floor lobby, Scheman, pre-purchase tickets by May 1 at 158 Alumni Suite, $13.50 adults, $6.50 ages 2-12, free under 2, 4-8488.
- 2 p.m. Commencement, undergraduate students, Hilton, no tickets needed, 4-2754.
Iowa State homepage
Inside Iowa State, firstname.lastname@example.org, University Relations
Copyright © 1998, Iowa State University, all rights reserved