Inside Iowa State
Apr. 17, 1998
Carillon festival opens next week
by Steve Sullivan
Albert Gerkin, nationally renowned carillonneur at the University of Kansas, Lawrence, will be the featured guest artist at Iowa State's 1998 Spring Carillon Festival, April 24-26.
The festival opens at 5 p.m. Friday, April 24, with a recital by Iowa State carillonneur Tin-shi Tam. Gerkin's guest recital will be at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 25. The festival will conclude Sunday at 2 p.m. with a special family concert featuring the Ames Children's Preparatory Choir, ISU Dance, the ISU/Ames Flute Ensemble and several ISU student carillonneurs.
The festival is free and "audience" members are encouraged to bring a blanket or lawnchair to central campus to listen.
Gerkin also will present a seminar, "The Importance of Musical Considerations in Building or Renovating a Carillon," at 2 p.m. Saturday in 130 Music Hall.
Gerkin has been carillonneur at the University of Kansas for 35 years. He has been a guest recitalist at most of the significant carillons in North America and Europe. In 1990, he performed a series of carillon recitals in Belgium and the Netherlands.
"I'm very much looking forward to playing Iowa State's Stanton Memorial Carillon because of its recent renovation," Gerkin said. "We just completed a similar renovation of the KU carillon here on the campus at Lawrence and it will be interesting to compare their sounds and playing action."
The festival will include the premier performance of the winning composition from a competition for young composers, sponsored by the Stanton Memorial Carillon Foundation. This is the fourth year for the competition, which attracts entries from around the world.
The winning composition will be performed by Tam during Sunday's family concert. The winning composer receives a $500 award.
1998 Spring Carillon Festival
Friday, April 24
- 5 p.m. Concert, Tin-shi Tam, ISU carillonneur, free, Stanton Memorial Carillon.
Saturday April 25
- 2 p.m. Carillon seminar, "The Importance of Musical Considerations in Building or Renovating a Carillon," guest carillonneur Albert Gerkin, University of Kansas, Lawrence, free, 130 Music Building.
- 3 p.m. Concert, guest carillonneur, Albert Gerkin, University of Kansas, Lawrence, free, Stanton Memorial Carillon.
- 4 p.m. Tour, campanile, free, Stanton Memorial Carillon.
Sunday April 26
- 2 p.m. Concert, Ames Children's Preparatory Choir, ISU dance, ISU flute choir, Tin-shi Tam, and ISU student carillonneurs, free, Stanton Memorial Carillon.
Iowa State homepage
Inside Iowa State, email@example.com, University Relations
Copyright © 1998, Iowa State University, all rights reserved