Inside Iowa State
Aug. 29, 1997
Faculty Forum ready for another year of classroom shoptalk
by Anne Dolan
The Faculty Forum series launches its fifth season with the first forum and dinner of the academic year Monday, Sept. 8, in the Memorial Union Cardinal Room. The series is sponsored by the Center for Teaching Excellence to pull together faculty members from across the university for dinner and discussion on topics related to Iowa State's teaching mission.
The September discussion will be a look at writing across the curriculum programs. David Russell, associate professor of English, will introduce the topic.
Each month, dinner will be served at 6 p.m., preceded by a social time at 5:30 p.m. The discussion begins at approximately 6:45 p.m. Faculty arriving after dinner are welcome. Dinner is $10 per person, payable at the door. Those arriving for dinner should make reservations with Jane Henning, 4-2906, by 5 p.m. Friday prior to the forum.
Following is a list of other forum topics and the individual(s) who will introduce them.
- Oct. 6: "Study Abroad," Trevor Nelson, OISS Study Abroad Center
- Nov. 10: "A Dialogue with our Neighbors: Educational Expectations at DMACC and at Central College," Jolyne Ghanatabadi, dean for curriculum and scheduling, DMACC, Ankeny; and Virginia Coombs, dean, Central College, Pella
- Dec. 8: "When is Humor Appropriate?" Ron Deiter, economics
- Feb. 9: "Doing What's Right: Ethics and Legality in the Classroom," Paul Tanaka, University Legal Services
- April 13: "Helping Students Think 'Outside the Box,'" Bill Boon, landscape architecture
Iowa State homepage
Inside Iowa State, email@example.com, University Relations
Copyright © 1997, Iowa State University, all rights reserved