Inside Iowa State
April 4, 1997
75th Veishea to celebrate tradition of leadership
by Dean Fiihr, News Service intern
Veishea, which turns 75 this year, will honor the long tradition of leadership at Iowa State."Celebrating 75 Years of Leadership" is the theme for this year's celebration, April 18-20.
Veishea organizers have chosen Tom Thielen, former vice president for student affairs, to be the grand marshal of the Veishea parade because of his longtime support of Veishea and ISU students. The parade begins Saturday at 11:30 a.m. KCCI- TV will begin live coverage at noon.
Seventy-five years of Veishea highlights will be shared in an anniversary display in the Memorial Union Great Hall from noon to 5 p.m. Friday and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The display is free and includes a timeline and video that outlines Veishea history.
In other highlights:
- Edward James Olmos, a leader in the Hispanic community and actor currently starring in the film Selena, will speak at 8 p.m. Thursday in the Memorial Union Great Hall. The event is free.
- Veishea cherry pies will be sold in 16 MacKay from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday and from 9 a.m. until they are gone Saturday. Pies are 90 cents each.
- Games, live music, radio broadcasts and food from 13 vendors will take over Welch Avenue for "A Taste of Veishea" Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m.
- More than 90 clubs and student organizations will host open houses across campus Friday and Saturday.
- Comedian Geoff Brown, who has performed on HBO's Def Comedy Jam and A&E's Evening at the Improv, will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Memorial Union Great Hall. The show is free.
- An Old Iowa country breakfast will be served south of the campanile from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $4.
A full schedule of Veishea events will run in the April 18 edition of Inside Iowa State.
Iowa State homepage
Inside Iowa State, firstname.lastname@example.org, University Relations
Copyright © 1997, Iowa State University, all rights reserved
URL: http://www.iastate.edu/general/Inside/1997/0404/veishea.html< br>Revised 4/3/97